adams
twenty ten

5.18.2013

the other side

I recently was in the hospital for a few days, and it was awful being on the "other side." I am so used to being the caregiver, that it was hard to be the one in the hospital gown. A quick overview of WHY I was in the hospital.
I had a low grade temperature for a few days, that soon turned into a 103 degree temp that wouldn't come down with 1000mg of Tylenol, Motrin, an ice bath, and ice packs!! This was accompanied by severe flank pain so I knew my kidneys were in trouble and so I braved the ER at 0200. As you can probably guess, I had a severe kidney infection, but the ER doc loaded me with 1 dose of IV antibiotics, some pain meds, and told me that I could manage it at home (I really didn't want to be admitted). I got home, slept for a few hours, but then the temp returned, along with the flank pain, chills, and vomiting. Because I could tell I was getting worse, we ventured the ER for a SECOND time. I was then admitted. I got IV antibiotics, some fluids and pain meds, but I still felt crappy. So my wonderful doctor decided to look a little further into my symptoms. After 2 days I was still super nauseated and couldn't eat at all, and I started having right upper quadrant pain. With a few more tests, they figured out that my gallbladder was not functioning AT ALL. I figured since I was already there and hadn't eaten for 4 days I might as well get it out!
My total hospital stay was 5 days and then a week off work recovering. Quite the adventure.

I have to say that everyone who took care of me at the hospital was great, it was just weird because I knew them all on a professional level. But, what can you do.
We have officially met our deductible for the year :) so life is good and now I can get all that reconstructive surgery I have wanted. (joke).



3 comments:

  1. No fun! Hope life is better without that gallbladder. ;) Congrats on the new house! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Amber!!
    I miss you too! and congrats on the twins! That is super exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Britt! I lost like everyone's numbers a few months back, this including yours! Do you still have my number? Text me whenever! (Same area code)473-2654

    ReplyDelete